Friday, May 6, 2011

Polling Day

I have been asked why there are 64 MP's featured in this blog (including 2 new walkover MP's), when there should be 65. The omission is deliberate. The missing MP is Seng Han Thong, from Ang Mo Kio GRC. As I trawled the web for images, I found out that he was the MP who suffered severe burns when he was attacked by a constituent back in 2009.

It made me pause.

When it comes to satire, everyone is fair game, especially if the person is a public figure. But Mr Seng was someone who had spent 6 months recovering in a hospital. I couldn't bring myself to look at his photos and find an occasion for humour.

I suppose I am mentioning this right now because some people--especially those in positions of authority--believe that the capacity of artists and writers for mischief is limitless. That they have to be reined it at times because, for them, 'freedom of speech' is a principle which trumps all other considerations.

I don't think this is true, at least for the artists and writers that I know. What I know is that all of them, being members of society (as much as they are able to step outside of it when they need to adjust their perspectives), are remarkably sensitive to social mores and norms, and do exercise self-restraint.

And yet the works that they do are sometimes labeled 'demeaning', 'disparaging', 'adversarial', 'confrontational', etc. Or 'controversial'. But for me, what is defined as 'controversial' is merely a space which provides a meeting-point for those on the opposite extremes of an opinion spectrum. At the very least, one is forced to acknowledge the presence of a polar 'other' that one would not encounter under normal circumstances.

Some amount of regulation is necessary, but not to the point of establishing a censorship regime. We need a voice--and not just in Parliament. The period between two elections cannot be regarded as a moratorium on criticism and dissent. Anyway, I suppose what I'm saying is that I hope that those in power can start to trust their own people in the future. Trust that we will take responsibility for the things we say, and that they are often said after careful deliberation and in some cases, long struggle. The same trust should be accorded to our vote.

So with that, I present to you, gently and cautiously, with this:


The painter preferred to give non-committal answers after Seng Han Thong asked him, "So how? You think my tie artistic or not?".

So there we have it: all 65 MP's. And as you would know, Mr Seng has fully recovered and is fit enough to contest in this current elections.

Have a good Polling Day ahead. : )

5 comments:

  1. erm Alfian, shouldn't it be 85 (84 MPs + 1 NCMP) instead of 65?

    Yangfa

    ReplyDelete
  2. 24 new candidates. 2 already got in through walkovers, so there's 22 more.

    87 seats in Parliament altogether. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. You rock lah.

    Funnier then http://thatispriceless.blogspot.com/ cos it's in our context. If only you can merchandise it it, print it on a mug. Then I can drink out of my minister's cup.

    ReplyDelete
  4. just a question, have you heard about this tumblr?
    http://awkwardedmilibandmoments.tumblr.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great way to end the series. This site should be archived by the NLB. :)

    ReplyDelete